If your claim is worth £10,000 or less then it will be allocated to the small claims track of your local county court.

The procedure of the small claims court is designed to enable parties to represent themselves. You can still ask a lawyer to assist you, but you will not be able to recover any of your legal fees from your opponent even if you win your claim. If you lose your claim you will not have to pay your opponent’s legal costs. There are only a few limited exceptions to this rule – you can recover the court issue fee and some limited expenses.

To start a claim in the small claims court, you will need to complete a claim form (Form N1). This can be completed online or as a paper form. You must pay a court fee when you make a claim.

If you need any advice regarding this or any other professional negligence matter, give us a call or fill in our online form and one of our experts will be in touch.